Monday, March 22, 2010

Auf Weidersein, Dear Weekend.

Oh, Mondays, how I loathe you. Just on principle. Mondays in and of themselves aren't too bad (Only one class at 2, field trip day at work), it's just the fact that their eminent arrival shooes away my beloved weekend. Baby come back...you can blame it allllll on meeeeeeeeeee....

Anywho.

Dinner last night was kind of a hodgepodge of shtuff I had in my fridge - some leftover steamed spinach and diced tomatoes that I heated together with some spices for a kind of pesto-ey-chunky-sauce-y-topping concoction and whole wheat penne. It was "meh", can't quite put my finger on what I didn't love, but it did the job and it's no longer taking up precious space in my munchkin-sized fridge.


I've got a new favorite cafeteria lunch; a Mediterranean Monster Sammich. Whole wheat bread, baby spinach leaves, hummus, carrots, cucumber, and beets. I know it's not original in the slightest, and I wasn't going to be That Weird Girl Who Whips Out A Camera In The Cafeteria To Photograph Her Lunch, so no pic, but suffice it to say it's fresh delishness at its best :)

I popped in for a coffee this morning and instead stumbled across this lovely in my Uni's snack bar/cafe:






Umm, yes please! I also bought a dark chocolate almond one, which due to a snack attack en route to the dorm, is now currently reduced to a crumpled wrapper somewhere on my floor in my garbage can.


I love me my Clif Bars, don't get me wrong, but I've been looking for something lower in carbs/sugar for a mid-day snack bar. These have 180 calories, 5 grams of fat, 26g of carbs, 15 grams of sugar, and 10 grams of protein. It's a good step down from Clif's 250 calories, 42 carbs, and 23 grams of sugar (Cranberry Orange Nut Bread Bar).


I'm kind of leary of energy bars in general, with LaraBars being so small for the calorie content, and other bars not being satisfying at all (I've been known to tear through two or three of the Special K Protein Meal bars), but the full quotient on these are pretty effective. The texture is a little stiffer ( the Dark Chocolate Almond one is also a lot crunchier, due to the almond pieces, which at first was kind of strange but after a few bites I came to enjoy it more). I really like the fact that these are made with dark chocolate that isn't melded with vegetable fat and that everything on the ingredient list (other than evaporated cane juice and citric acid) is organic. I headed over and checked out their website and now I'm dying to try some of their other goodies (the Raw Nugo 10 Cranberry Bar is calling my name).

Speaking of things calling my name...I have to go sit an exam. Ick.

No comments:

Post a Comment