Friday, March 5, 2010

Why yes, yes I do glow!

One of the best compliments I've ever received was simply this: "I couldn't stop staring at you, you were just glowing with beauty". Now, I take this with a grain of salt, because it was coming from a date who was likely (read: definitely) thinking it would get him places; that, and I don't usually fall for gushy compliments as such. Yes, Ke$ha, it's all just "blah, blah, blah".That said...to this day, it remains one of the most incredible things that has been said about me, and I want to replicate that healthy, vital, luminescent glow every day!

Some mornings (such as today), need a little help, though, after long, over-caffeinated nights, and I thank my lucky stars for happy Sephora-land, oh Magic Mecca of Gorgeousness, to help me fake it. The one fear I have, cosmetically speaking, is looking overly made up, so I'm fairly finicky about what goes on my face. I'd rather emphasize what I'm naturally given; just a quick little "boost", if you will.

I'm normally time-crunched from one too many snooze-buttons, though, so I'm usually limited to a few shmears and swipes before heading out, I've also never heard anyone complain about wishing they had less time in the A.M; without further ado, my nominations for my lifesaving "5 minute face" glow-boosters.


1.) Covergirl Aqua Smoothers. It's multitasking at it's finest - sunscreen (SPF 15), moisturizer, and just the tiniest hint of a sheer, skin tone-evening color. I love that there are no major yellow or pink tones - just a true, fleshy tint that blends seamlessly into my skin. It's got such a smooth texture and a a soft, glowy finish - and it's only $7 and change (much more reasonable than similar versions from Laura Mercier, N.V. Perricone, or Bobbi Brown)!

2.) Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat. I think, if I had to choose just one product to have on hand as a glow-booster, this would be it. It's a tricky little bugger to master, because it's not intended to work solo as a concealer. If I use it in conjunction with a traditional concealer though (my choice is Lancome Effacerness Waterproof for its blendable and creamy consistency), it reflects light in a manner that drastically reduces my dark undereye circles. A teeny dot in the inner corners of my eyes make them look brighter and wider, and for an extra luminosity, I'll dot it along the top of my cheekbones. There are no big chunks of glitter or shimmer, and the sleek little click-pen applicator makes it ridiculously portable for mid-day touchups. Fellow blogger KarlaSugar talks a bit more about them, and has real-life swatches of all the shades over here at her blog, The Next Best Thing to Going Shopping Yourself

3.) Bobbi Brown Pot Rouges. After one horribly eye-opening photograph of myself with blush that seemed so cakey that it needed a can of frosting right then and there, I switched over entirely to cream blushes, which to me have a far superior texture and almost no risk of over-application. Blending them in with your fingers makes it seem like a lit-from-within, healthy flush, which is my idea of an optimum perk-up. Added bonus? They work on lips too, so any product left over on your fingers can go straight onto the mouth for a lightly staining tint, feeding into my absolute and undying affection for multi-purpose products. Karla's got us covered with swatches of these too over at TNBTTGSY!

4.) Matrix Color Care Shielding Shine Mist. My hair, what with my slight curling iron dependence and regular dye jobs, needs a little help in the shine department. This spray is super-lightweight, so it doesn't undo all the time and effort of styling, and I love that it's from the Biolage line, which incorporates natural botanicals and Cera-Repair Pro-4 complex to repair and shield hair. In the meantime, though, gotta remember to work in those good fats (avacados, olive oil, yada yada, you know the drill!).

5.) Nivea Kiss of Shine. It's cheap, it's in the checkout line at Target, it's lightly shiny and not remotely sticky, need I say more? 

Go out and rock that glow - real or fake; revel in the compliments, and while you're at it - make it a point to pass out a few compliments of your own to friends and strangers today - the both of you will benefit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment