Thursday, March 4, 2010

Cheers for Abundance

Dial back a bit to Monday. I was visiting my family for the weekend, and in anticipation of my work schedule that prevents me from being home in time to rummage through the cafeteria's patently sketchy dinner options, I thought to myself, pull a Donna Reed and cook my little heart out, while I had a stove at my disposal, and bring it back up to Uni with me.

Quick survey of the kitchen's contents gave me the stunningly enticing and mesmerizingly creative idea of steamed veggies and brown rice. The first part was just dandy. I steamed up some spinach, broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower, and I sauteed some zucchini and yellow squash in EVOO. I packaged each thing into respective Ziploc baggies and Floomp, into the freezer they went. Nicely done, score one for Ms. Reed.

Then came the rice. Uncle Bens whole-grain, boil-in-a-bag brown rice. All natural, good source of fiber, no sugar or saturated fat, easy to make, easy to package, versatile with all the gorgeous vegetables. Soooooo, where exactly did I go wrong?

There were three boxes in the pantry, and I figured heck, you come home from work one hungry chickey, and you don't know when the next time you'll be home to fix more will be, so just fix it all.  I failed to do the math; the Lady Gaga emanating from my speakers had totally commandeered my brain functions and I was pretty much on autopilot. Next thing I knew, I look out and dayum, there's 32 ounces of it just chilling out on my dining room table. 2 pounds is a lotta rice.


I've been eating this stuff every day and it's Just. Not. Going. Away.

On the upside, I did find that it makes an interesting oatmeal-type breakfast if you heat it up with a drizzle of almond milk and a spoonful of peanut butter, like this one that magically hopped into my basket at the grocery store, what with its promises of combining peanuts and rich dark chocolate:

Now to bust my creative-ness out and find another way to rid myself of the remaining 20-some-odd ounces...

No comments:

Post a Comment